Title: NPI (New Product Innovation) Process/Implementation Engineer
Who we are
This is the chance to join an industry-leading technology organisation dedicated to engineering fluid management solutions for the life science and process industries. They help their customers to supply critical products and services that range from fresh drinking water and therapeutic medicines to food products and paper. Their solutions help companies to be more efficient, sustainable and profitable.
This role aims to bring processing expertise and experience into our new product innovation (NPI) projects at the earliest possible stage. The focus is on the selection, evaluation and implementation of appropriate technologies and processes to support design intent and enable the smooth transition from product concept to production. The goal is to accelerate NPI and sustain a vibrant and fresh portfolio of reliable products and services.
This role sits within the Fluid Path NPI team, encompassing BioPure components, tubing and Aflex hoses. Work streams are organised around new product delivery projects and the technology projects that preceed them.
The successful candidate will be part of our clients global design and engineering function but must form strong links with the production teams at our supply sites
What you'll be doing
- You will work within creative, multi-functional teams to support the delivery of validated, robust and profitable new products and services.
- You will leverage in-house expertese and adapt existing processes to suit new product concepts e.g. extrusion of PTFE liners, forming of PTFE profiles, braiding, extrusion of rubber covers and swaging of end-fittings.
- Success will also require, when appropriate, the development of pioneering new techniques and equipment. This will involve liaison with patent attorneys to secure any new intellectual property.
- You will be seeking to raise the maturity levels of technologies and processes. TRL and MRL assessments will be used to quantify progress.
- Developing subject matter expertise for deployment throughout the wider WMFTG organisation
- You will lead and/or contribute to NPI delivery projects i.e. strategic and tactical projects
- You will lead and/or contribute NPI technology projects i.e. research orientated activities
- You will contribute to technology and product roadmap planning activities
- You will embrace our strategic One Planet initiatives i.e. focusing on net zero emissions, biodiversity net gain, environmental improvements, sustainable products, supply chain sustainability and community wellbeing
- You will qualify new processes via tools and methodologies such as PPAP and IQOQPQ
- You will implement statistical process controls and reliability analysis
- You will evidence your work by maintaining technical files and documentation
- You will specify new manufacturing equipment, justify capital expenditure, procure and commission
- You will assist with the development of new test equipment and processes
This is what you'll need to be successful in this role
Previous experience required:
- Experience of working within an advanced manufacturing environment
- Process design, with focus on product quality and management of cost
- Practical experience of operating manufacturing equipment (extrusion, braiding and swaging are of particular interest)
- Contribution to new product development projects
- Management of project and process risk
- Generation and implementation of product and process FMEAs
Competencies and personal attributes:
- A hunger to be at the forefront of technical innovation and a desire for collaborative success
- Enthusiasm, passion, resilience and strength - being up for the challenge, maintaining a positive belief in what we can do and projecting that to those around us
- Analytical skills and the ability to solve complex problems
- A command of fundamental engineering tools
- Technical skills and the ability to communicate with confidence and clarity
- The ability to empathise with customer values and maintain customer focus throughout your work