You probably don't realize it, but what we do at Veeco touches the lives of every person, every day. It's a bold statement, but it's true. From the smartphones in our pockets that access the world's collective knowledge, to the cloud-based services where all that information lives, to high-speed wireless communication and computing power needed to drive artificial intelligence, augmented and virtual reality, gaming and so much more, our technology is all around us.
We design, develop, manufacture, and service highly complex, cutting-edge machines used by our customers to create the essential devices that drive the digital age, connect the world, and improve the human experience. Along with the world's leading technology companies, many of which are household names, we help solve their most difficult material science challenges, enabling technologies for a more connected, sustainable, and convenient world.
We're looking for material difference-makers to join our growing team. Interested? Learn more at .Overview
Veeco's process equipment solutions enable the manufacture of LEDs, displays, power electronics, hard drives, compound semiconductors, MEMS, semiconductors advanced packaging and wireless chips. We are the market leader in MOCVD, MBE, Ion Beam, Wet Etch single wafer processing and other advanced thin film process technologies. Our high-performance systems drive innovation in energy efficiency, consumer electronics and network storage and allow our customers to maximize productivity and achieve lower cost of ownership.
Veeco has an opening in Somerset, NJ for a skilled and experienced Staff Electrical/Controls Engineer to participate in the design of NPD, ETO, and CIP work for Gas Concentration Sensors (50%) and Compound Semiconductor Capital Equipment (50%). This role designs/maintains/documents Controls Systems, PLC code, Analog/Digital/AC/DC circuits, PCBs and Cabling, amongst many other items.
This is a very hands-on role, which will require the candidate to develop and execute all of their own test plans, while working very closely with our SW team. Additionally, the candidate will be required to create their own test assemblies (if needed) and install/validate/troubleshoot any new HW or Controls designs on the systems
Lastly, a critical part of this role is to support our Field and Operations teams with any troubleshooting/issue resolution/escalations for systems at our customer sites, our Labs or in our Manufacturing facility.Responsibilities
- Participates in new product design, upgrade, obsolescence, and sustaining development activities, will lead projects as required.
- Integration, design, and test of control systems for various temperature, motion and pressure based items
- Writing, testing and validating new PLC Code, when required. Debugging existing PLC code as needed.
- Generate supporting documentation, including schematics, drawings, BOM's, upgrade/installation procedures, engineering reports, validation test plans and test reports for all assigned design activities.
- Lead development of firmware, DSP and Microcontroller code for Gas Concentration Sensors.
- Participate in Failure Analysis and Corrective Action teams for new & existing products.
- As needed, participate in customer meetings.
- Support Operations with test equipment specifications and assist them with designing test fixtures required to perform the Standard Test Procedures for any given system.
Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline and a minimum of 8 years of experience or a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline with 6 years of experience is required or a PhD with 3 years of experience. Experience in electrical and electronic design for industrial products is preferred, Semiconductor equipment product development or similar industry experience is highly desirable.Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Vacuum based system experience, with various gas delivery controllers, is desired.
- Knowledge of power distribution, power calculations, DC, AC (110V-480V), 3-Phase, Single Phase.
- Experience specifying and integrating Power Supplies, Circuit Breakers, Transformers, Electronic Filters.
- Detailed knowledge with closed loop control, tunning PIDs, heating applications using AC/DC.
- Experience specifying and integrating dedicated controllers (temperature, pressure) into equipment control system.
- Strong understanding of analog, digital and mixed signal electrical circuits and the use of AutoCAD to create schematics.
- Explicit knowledge and experience with various communication networks such as DeviceNet, Serial, EtherCAT.
- Experience troubleshooting communication network issues using Tools such as Wireshark.
Veeco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.