At Zenith Aerospace, we design, build, and fly large scale unmanned aircraft from the ground up. We recently closed a funding round led by Founders Fund -- the first investor in SpaceX -- and with the wind in our sails, we want to grow our team with driven, talented, bootstrapping engineers and technicians from diverse backgrounds and paths of life. If you are excited about aerospace, tackling world-class engineering problems, and making big things fly, you are in the right spot. Join us!
ABOUT THE JOB
Zenith Aerospace is seeking a highly driven Senior Loads & Dynamics Engineer. In this position, you will be responsible for the aeroservoelastic modelling, analysis, and validation of our high aspect ratio aircrafts. You will be working in a tight feedback loop with Aerodynamics, GNC, Structural and Prototyping engineers to promptly iterate through aircraft designs and configurations. Your work will drive the development of cutting-edge unmanned aircraft, which you will routinely take from modelling to prototyping to flight testing in an exciting, fast-paced environment.
- Develop external loads and aeroelastic models and methods
- Develop aerodynamic databases for use in aircraft aeroelastic models
- Develop multi-DOF flight dynamics simulations for use in external loads and dynamics
- Interpret and process experimental data to correlate and validate aircraft aeroelastic models
- Implement loads database to be used by the structural design team
- Interpret certifications and regulations, then establish compliance strategies and methods of compliance
- Develop, review, and approve certification-related documents
- Collaborate to a multidisciplinary environment in order to solve complex, open-ended problems with an emphasis on speed of execution and efficiency
- M.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a relevant discipline
- Solid mathematics and engineering physics background
- Excellent understanding of aircraft fundamentals (flight mechanics, aerodynamics, structures)
- 5+ years of experience in loads, dynamics and aeroelasticity for fixed-wing aircraft, rotorcraft or wind turbine
- Experience with NASTRAN, ASWING, or other aeroelastic analysis tools (medium to high fidelity preferred)
- Comfortable with analysis tools such as MATLAB, Python, and Excel
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Ph.D. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a relevant discipline
- Previous experience working on aircraft certification programs and knowledge of FAR 23 / 27
- 10+ years of working in loads, dynamics and aeroelasticity
- Extensive experience with aeroelastic instabilities (e.g. flutter), and with their corresponding alleviation methods. Experience with aeroservoelastic design and analysis.
- Extensive experience correlating and validating loads models using experimental data